Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon monoxide poisoning is likely to occur wherever there is fire or smoke, especially in enclosed places in poorly ventilated rooms that are heated by wood-burning stoves or kerosene-type space heaters in closed garages where gasoline engines are running in cars that have faulty exhaust systems

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Symptoms

Early signs of carbon monoxide poisoning include:

  • headache
  • dizziness
  • distorted vision
  • mild difficulty breathing

Signs of more severe poisoning are:

  • intense headache
  • nausea/vomiting
  • reddening of the skin
  • sleepiness
  • poor coordination
  • unusual behavior
  • loss of consciousness

Carbon monoxide poisoning should be strongly suspected if several individuals in the same house develop these symptoms simultaneously.

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Treatment

  • Move everyone to fresh air immediately.
  • If someone is unconscious, begin rescue breaking or CPR if necessary.
  • Whether there is one or many victims, seek medical evaluation as quickly as possible. If no one can drive or a victim is unconscious, call 911 for emergency treatment and transportation.
  • After each person has received treatment, contact the local gas company or fire department so they can check for carbon monoxide in the home.
  • The primary treatment for carbon monoxide poisoning is 100 percent oxygen given by mask for several hours.